Monday, August 13, 2007

Some pictures of our House

Many people have been asking for more photos. Don't worry...I am sure by June you will be very sick of photos and you will feel like you lived here yourself. I took some photos of our house so you can get a better idea of where we live.

Here is our kitchen and dining room: We finally got the propane tank for the stove filled so now we can have hot food. Yippee!This is the view from our dining room table. Pretty and lush. There is a park right there where usually people are playing futbol (soccer).
This is right outside the back door. It is a sink with a washboard and a tub. This is where we are supposed to wash out clothes. Looks really clean, right? I think we will opt for washing our clothes in the stainless steel sink in the kitchen.This is my bedroom. I tried to hang up some photos and pictures to make it more homey. We also bought sheets so the neighbors can't see inside. My bed is on the other side and my suitcases are on the floor. Luckily, I also have ceiling fan.
Here is our lovely bathroom. See, regular toilet and sink, and a concrete dirty shower. It has rocks on the ground in it so we usually wear flip flops. If you look close you can see an electrical outlet hanging above the shower head. The old water heater, which is attatched to the shower head, burned. Real safe. When the shower doesn't work, we turn on the faucet below and fill the bucket and use a cup to pour on ourselves.
One day in downtown, Christina and I found this cool hotel (Maya Vista) with a great view of the town. We had to climb up many steps but the view was worth it.
Other random things we have noticed about noise:
  • It is very loud all the time. Cars, buses, trucks, bikes, and people on horses ride by at all hours (even in the middle on the night).
  • Many people attach speakers to the roofs of their cars and drive around playing announcements and advertisements through them really loudly.
  • Every morning there is man selling hamburgers that walks by screaming "hamburguesa, hamburgesa". He usually yells this from 4am - 6am.
  • On Sundays it is very quiet except for the churches. You can hear the music from them blocks away. How loud is it inside the church? Oh, and one of the popular church songs is "You are Wind Beneath my Wings" sung in Spanish.
Today we started setting up or classrooms so I will update you on that soon. We begin teaching on Wednesday!

3 comments:

Mr.Hampton said...

Hey put the lid down on that toilet! Do you live in a frat house?

Ha ha,

Rob

Anonymous said...

Hola Muchachas-
Que aventura! You might be interested to know that the laundry set-up outside gets your clothes REALLY clean, if you do it right. When I lived in Guadalajara, my girlfriend and I asked a local housekeeper from the nearest hotel come over and show us how to do it. (we cooked her a nice lunch as payment for her "teaching".) It cleans better than a washer, but it is hard on your clothes, so I hope you don't have anything fancy. Also, it was nice to have sun-dried clothes and sheets. I asked the housekeeper to come back in a week to make sure I had the technique down, but soon enough, our clothes were CLEAN! If you can't find the right white shirts to teach in, email me with your sizes and I'll send some. Also, the outlet by the shower is scaring me. Can you duct-tape it away from the water/spray?
Les deseo mucho éxito para su primera semana de clases,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Hey sounds like a lot of fun. I'm not so sure about the shower situation, but everything else sounds like an adventure. The stories and situations are hilarious. Good luck with the first week of school. Oh yeah, the microwave...you and Christina should just use the propane stove. Keep us posted...c-ya! Sokoun