Friday, August 10, 2007

I am now living in Tela

Hi all my far away friends,
I safely arrived in Tela 4 days ago. I can´t believe it has already been that long. Christina and I had a safe trip and we were met at the airport by our new principal, Vanessa Velasquez. She has been wonderful. She has driven us around the city to get food, internet, bikes, and see some sights.


The ride to Tela (rained a little):


The entire city is situated in the middle of very tropical, green jungles. There are trees and plants everywhere. The weather has been hot and humid (about 85 degrees F). It has rained occasionally but it only lasts about 5 minutes. We went to the beach to swim today. It was very refreshing.

Riding our bikes into town:

view from our bike ride to the beach:


View of Tela from the beach:


The view from the Tela bridge (p.s. you don´t want to swim in that water...stinky!):


There are many random horses, dogs, sheep, and water buffalo roaming around:


We were very lonely and a little freaked out our first day but that has passed and we are really beginning to enjoy it. We have been riding bikes all over town. The streets are jam-packed with all kinds of stores and restaurants. You can get almost everything here. We even met a few locals and tourists.

The streets of downtown Tela:


Our house is nice (sort of). We have a beautiful, huge yard with palm trees and green grass. Our living room\kitchen is also quite large . We just got the stove hooked up today so we can finally cook. Our microwave is broken (as you probably guessed from the photo below). We each have our own room with open windows and a fan. We had to buy material to cover the windows so people won´t peep inside. Our bathroom is the most interesting. There is a regular toilet and sink. The shower is a concrete block that has a shower head above and faucet below. The shower head rarely works so we turn on the faucet and fill up a bucket and use a cup to pour water on us from the bucket. It takes a while to rinse out all the shampoo and condition but it does the job. The water is cold, whether or not the shower works. We might get a water heater but the cold is okay for now. Oh, and the shower has an electrical outlet right above the shower head (very safe, I´m sure).

Our front gate and door to the house:

The microwave (¨Hey, Christina, you think it will work? ha, ha¨):


We start teaching next Wednesday and we are both very excited. Christina will be teaching 2nd grade and I will be teaching 3rd. We don´t have internet at the house yet but as soon as we do I can write more and email more. I also made a video tour of the house but the computer is very slow so I will try to send the video later. I miss you all. Write to me (it really helps with the loneliness). xoxo

4 comments:

Mr.Hampton said...

Sara and Christina,

Oh my god your there! Love the microwave, think it got plent of use? Hey we have an extra one here at the house if you want it. Just let Susanne and I know.

The town seems very small and pretty. The picture of Sara and the house is cool. Your house looks very nice and hopefully that whole shower thing will get taken care of. Jeez even a cold shower in hot weather can become a bit of a drag after a while. Now that outlet in the shower sounds like a winner. Ha ha, just don't plug your ipod into that thing.

Keep us updated on the town people and the little cool things about it.

I can't believe that you start teaching next week! So what's your copy limit? Just kidding. How many kids do you get in your class? I guess no class size reduction in Honduras.

We both miss you and you'll both do a great job. That school will never know what hit them. I figure that if you can handel 8th graders Sara that these kids should be a cake, and Christina should do just at equally great.

Aloha for now.
Rob and Susanne and family.

Anonymous said...

interesting microwave miss.burgin!
josephine

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. I know you're still nervous, but this will be such an awesome opportunity for you. This is so beautiful and amazing. I wish I could do this. I am not a doctor or an electrician, but I do not think I would recommend touching the microwave machine. What are you doing about clean water. do you get a big gallon bottle or what. I miss you lots. I want to see more photos.

Anonymous said...

Your Aunt Terry, this is great. I love all the photos. I feel like I am there. I will try to write you after all our weddings are over. You are going to have such a great adventure. Love Aunt terry