Monday, August 13, 2007

Some Hilarious Anecdotes

Alright, alright...I promise not to write two blogs in one day again but I have some absurd stories for you.

So Christina and I spent all morning on Saturday writing postcards and letters. We biked the 20 minutes into town and got to the post office at 2:30. Well, they closed at noon. Oh well, we will just have to wait until Monday. So Monday comes along. We are supposed to be at work to begin setting up our classrooms at 11:00am. We got up early and rode into town to get to the post office before work. The sun was beating down on us, sweat was dripping all over us, and, of course, there was no shade the whole way there. We get to the post office and they informed us that they do not sell stamps. The only sell stamps in San Pedro Sula or La Ceiba, which are both 1 and 1/2 hour bus ride away. Awesome! What kind of post office doesn't sell stamps? What exactly to the workers do? Why don't they just have a mailbox instead?

So we get back to our house and walked to the school at 11:00am (as scheduled). No one was there except the founder, who speaks no English (but somehow she founded a bilingual school?). She said we should come back at 1:00pm to meet the principal. So we went home and sat around, melting, for 2 hours.

Then we walked back to the school. We were shown our classrooms, which we are supposed to decorate by Wed. and they were being painted. Yeah... so we obviously couldn't decorate. Instead, they gave us the teacher guides and workbooks for each subject and we had to write our plans for the next two months. This basically involved just copying the units titles, lesson titles, and workbook pages onto a sheet of paper. We have to turn it in to the principal but she doesn't even speak or read English so it doesn't really matter what we write. What a waste of time. It is kinda sad, they have no books for the kids to read except textbooks. They just expect the teachers to teach a short lesson and then have students do a workbook page for every subject. The nice things is we only teach for about 4 hours of each day and we get about 2 hours prep each day.

Before heading home, we asked about the red uniform shirts we are supposed to wear each day. We are informed that they only wear those from January to June. From Aug to December they wear white shirts, which the school does not sell and Christina and I have none of. So tomorrow I guess we have to wake up early and go into town before work to try find some to buy.

Just thought I'd let you tase a little slice of our Honduran life so far. Sorry if it was a bit long. And you'll have to wait on those postcards until we get on the bus on Sat.

5 comments:

Mr.Hampton said...

Sara,

Love the two blogs a day. Too funny about the founder, speaks no English but found a bilingual school. But...as a friend told me about central americans, they speak English but they don't like to let you on to it, so keep that in mind.

Too bad about the stamps, what a waste of time.

And too bad for the students and the workbooks, but I am sure you will do something that will bennifit them in their language development.

Aloha for now and keep them blogs coming.

Rob and family

Anonymous said...

Aunt Terry, Say would you like me to see some of Jamie's books for the students to read? email me or your mom and I will get a box mailed to you. It is so much fun reading about your adventure. Love

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Sokoun told me to check out your blog. I read everything and you guys are very brave. It seems like you are handling the transition very well. I enjoyed reading all your little adventures and I look forward to hearing more about your teaching experiences. Have fun!!! Once in a lifetime experience. Good luck!!!!
Kelly Finn : )

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,

I miss your humor. I imagined talking to you in person when you said, "What kind of a post office doesn't sell stamps?" Your stories are hillarious and you are such a good writer that I can imagine exactly what it is like there! Sounds frustrating though. You will make it through with your positive outlook and your great sense of humor!

Anonymous said...

Sara,
Your commentaries are wonderful, they always bring a smile to my face and make me laugh out loud. I can't wait to share your comments with the kids when I teach voice!

I have a few of your kids this year since I now have a 4/5 combo, so sharing your blog will be extra special I know.

There was no line at the xerox machine this afternoon and I was lonely. As for the hedgehog, I think he needs a friend. Perhaps you should introduce him to your hermit crab. Then he might not feel so tourmented by the other kids in your class. :-)

Nina :-)