Saturday, October 20, 2007

San Diego and a Flood!

I haven't been able to write to the blog lately because I have been busy.

I got to go home to San Diego for a short visit. I didn't get to see everyone I wanted to (including all the kids and teachers at Carson Elementary) but I got to see my sister, my parents, and some friends.
I went to 2 movies (Halloween and Darjeeling Limited). I was able to spend a day in L.A. visiting friends and going to an art gallery (La Luz de Jesus). I went an art show in San Diego (Ray at Night) and saw some live bands (Woggles, Creepy Creeps, Secret Apollo). I even got to wish my friend Tiffany Happy 21st Birthday and stroll down the O.B. pier. The best part was being able to go out to dinner and having my favorite foods: banana curry (Bombay), potato flautas (Pokez), zuchini tacos (South Beach), and of course bean and cheese burritos (El Zarape). I spent way too much money replenishing my supply of books and cd's.

When I returned to Honduras, the hassles started right away. My plane left at 2:00am from LAX. After waiting in an hour-long security line, I slept most of the way for the short flight. When I landed in San Pedro it was noon and I was hot, tired, and starving. I began looking for my ride (the principal's father) who was going to take me to Tela. Instead, I found the principals brother waiting for me. He explained that the father is out of town in La Ceiba and wouldn't be able to give me a ride. The brother was sent to meet me and take me to the bus station. Oh, great! So I got to ride on a sweaty, crowded, 2 hour bus to Tela. I was dropped off at the end of our street. By now it was 2:00pm, hot and humid, and I had to carry my backpack and two large suitcases (stuffed with food, books, and machine-washed clothes) down to the house. It was definitely not what I was looking forward to.

I finally made it to the house drenched in sweat and opened the front door. THE HOUSE WAS COMPLETELY FLOODED! The kitchen sink was on full-blast and there was water everywhere. Christina had left town 2 days before so the water must have been on the whole time. Since our water is shut off on a daily basis, Christina had turned on the kitchen faucet, nothing came out, and she forgot to turn it off again so when the water came back on later...Whoosh!

I immediately ran to my room to see what was ruined: my teacher plan book, my grade book, my Honduras travel guide, a book, and some student work. Everything else was soaked but not ruined. Then I had to spend the next 3 hours, in the heat, sweeping all the water out of the house. I hadn't slept or eaten a full meal in 2 days....this is really not what I wanted to do right then. After I finished, I laid out my books and papers to dry.

Christina had two friends, Abbie and Lindsey, come to visit us in Honduras (our first visitors) so they had gone to the the lake. The three of them returned to the house the next morning. We showed them how to get to the beach and we went to work. Then we met them at the beach after work. The next day they went to Punta Sal while we worked and after we all had birthday cake for one of the girls. Unfortunately they had to leave the next day but at least Christina and I had some guests for a few days. It was fun and I encourage you all to visit us.
This week at school the students took their exams and practiced for the United Nations parade and celebration next week. My class was assigned to represent the United States and Christina's was assigned the Philippines. My class is going to wear blue jeans, white t-shirts, and red accessories. I am teaching them the words and hand motions to "This Land is you Land". We also have to make a United States banner to display in the parade. Ahh, time well spent.

Next week we practice Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. The parade and celebration is on Thursday. Friday we have the day off so Christina and I will be headed to the Pico Bonito mountain for a jungle lodge, hiking, and waterfalls. I guess our life ain't so bad. I will make sure to get photos of it all for you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, Miss Burgin still buys CDs.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara,
I just sent you a card. So you'll get it next year. Oh my god about the flooding. Did the school find out and are they mad? That's cool that you can see progress in your students. Very motivating for you. The beach looks beautiful, and I don't even like beaches either. ;-) Will skype you soon. Love, Shannon

Anonymous said...

Aunt Terry again, I was so glad to hear from you again and so happy that you had a great trip home. I do wish I could come to visit you. You always have so much excitment. Hope your home in San Diego is still OK with all the fires. Keep up the good work of teaching those children. Love Aunt Terry

Anonymous said...

How are you doing so far?

Anonymous said...

favorite comment: Machine washed clothes