Friday, October 5, 2007

Crying kids, Gorgeous beach, Cool houses, and Graffiti art

This week my class was great (I secretly think I have the best grade in the whole school...I tell them that all the time). I even almost got to teach for the whole week, until the school decided Friday was a holiday. My students are really improving in their writing and language already. Christina and I also finally finished sorting the donated books and labeling them. So last week the students were able to choose their own books. They are very excited about this and they can't wait for reading everyday. Even if they haven't mastered the concept of choosing "just right" books it is still a step forward. They are also doing amazingly well in science and math even with no manipulatives. I did bring my laptop on Wed. to show them a Magic School Bus science video.

Christina had a rough time this week though so I think she is glad they cut it sort. Right when the bell rang for the beginning of school on Monday afternoon, Christina had 3 students start crying. This wasn't your regular crying either but all-out screaming and sobbing. Christina did her best to find out what was wrong and calm them down but to no avail. One crying student repeatedly ran out of the classroom to the gate until the principal would bring him back to class. The final time, the principal shoved him in the room and closed the door behind him. Christina tried to proceed with her lessons but probably didn't get much accomplished. The crying continued the rest of the week. No one is sure what is wrong with them. Hopefully they are better next week. Keep in mind these are 2nd graders (not preschoolers).

Since Friday was a holiday we decided to go to the beach. It was the most beautiful day at the beach. The sky was blue with not a cloud to be found. The sand was whiter than ever. The water was clear and warm. It was calm enough to float. The best part is we were almost the only ones there. You can click on this link to see a 360 degree video (45 sec.) I recorded of the Tela beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9q6NYmb_3Q

It was still rather hot, as usual, so we retreated to the shade of the palapa.
Here is a view of the beautiful trees and clouds on a different day:
I love looking at the houses on the ride home from the beach. They are cool, old, wooden houses with shutters built on stilts. Most the newer houses here are built from cinder block and concrete (like the one we live in) so these add a lot of character to the scenery.
Here is another one:
We also often stumble upon interesting construction techniques: homemade wooden scaffolding, workers sledgehammering concrete into a main street from the second-story of a building (very safe), giant holes or piles of rocks in the middle of the street with no warning.
My unsuppressed juvenile delinquency and love of art always keeps me on the lookout for graffiti. Tela is sadly lacking in graffiti but I finally found some at our local vegetable and fruit stand. It is actually fairly rad...too bad it is unsigned.Just wanted to let you all know, once again, that I really appreciate all the comments you send me. I read all of them. Although I am having a wonderful time here in Honduras, I miss you all and can't wait to see you again and hear about your amazing stories.

9 comments:

Mr.Hampton said...

Okay you really have to take some video of your class now you are posting on You-Tube. Would it kill you to say hello when shooting at the beach?

That beach looked so peaceful. Nice place, too bad there are no waves.

That art is too cool. Looks very primary though. Something one of my students would do.

Take care and we can't wait for your next post.
Rob and family

Anonymous said...

very interesting..enjoyed the 360 of the beach. Is that you floating? Enjoy those old homes too.

That poor kid, I hope he is OK.

Yes, how about some video of you?

Anonymous said...

Aunt Terry Says... I agree, I want to see a viedo of your class and you. Wow would I like that beach. Were those stilts of wood on those house just temporary? I look forward to your postings. I check every day to see if there is a new posting. Love Aunt Terry

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara, this is your Aunt Terry again. I wanted to tell you that I gave your blog to my sister-in-law Sharon and she will give it to her daughter, Bethany. She is going to San Diego State to be a teacher. Just wanted you to know who they are if they leave a comment. Love from your Aunt Terry

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that all those books I boxed up and shipped there are finally getting used by the kids.

Unknown said...

Love to hear about how the school is going. I know that your kids love you because you are a great teacher. I Hope that Christina will get a handle on those crying kids.

Anonymous said...

Hey miss Burgin Update more I want to read more!




Jennifer Hoang

(How can I read your maggese to me/)

Anonymous said...

When you said that Your class is the best in the whole world? What about us? I thought that our class is the best in the world! You said that it make me said!

Anonymous said...

Where are you Miss Burgin?

Did the Bot Flies get you?