Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Storms, a Dinner, a Library, and Recuperation

First (almost) Hurricane of 2008!
So much for sunny days... just after I posted the last blog entry we encountered tropical storm Alma. Hurricane warnings had even been issued but then were discontinued. The deluge of rain began Thursday afternoon immediately flooding all the streets. Friday morning Alma had been downgraded to a tropical depression but it wasn't gone yet.
Alma's center was then only about 2 hours from Tela.

Then on Saturday, tropical storm Arthur was right next to us.
The rain has continued off and on since then but now mostly only at night. It was a bit disappointing because, although there was big booming thunder, there was only a little lightening and hardly any wind. I mean, if we're gonna have a storm...bring it on. Happily the temperature stayed in the high 70'sF and low 80's making the storm much more enjoyable and the idea of getting soaked not too unpleasant. For amusement, I rode my bike awhile in the rain and puddles and then went into town for a few drinks by the ocean to enjoy the storm and rocky sea. I love the beach even in the rain.

Just for comparison, the average annual rainfall in Tela is about 110 inches while in San Diego it rains less than 12 inches a year. So on average, it rains more here in one month than it rains all year in San Diego.

Oh, and with storms seems to inevitably correlate that the electricity and water will be shut off. Sunday we had no water until 8:00pm. When water once again flowed... of course it was brown and murky. Just as I was hoping the sun would return soon, I awoke Tuesday morning to gorgeous blues skies... and, of course, hopped on my bike for the beach.
(I am also very happy because Thursday is my birthday and I found out we finally got to book our day trip to an amazing, tiny group of islands, Cayos Cochinos, for a day of swimming and snorkeling on Sunday. Hopefully it won't get rained out as this is our last chance to go.)Dinner with a Family
On Sunday night Christina invited Genesis and her family over for dinner. (Genesis is the girl who taught us how to make the bracelets. re: post in March.) Christina made spaghetti, garlic bread, and pupusas with only a little help from Genesis and me. The family was very hilarious and we all had a great time. We haven't even left yet and everyone keeps asking when we are coming back.
On Leaving Honduras
I've come to realize one hesitation I have in leaving Honduras...
In Honduras, when doing anything, the journey is just as absorbing and important as the destination, sometimes more so. While in the states, the journey is a hassle that has to be suffered through to get to the destination.

Maybe this is true because the backdrop here is so magnificent. Maybe it's because my journeys here are relatively fresh while in the states they are are well worn routes where I don't stop to smell the flowers anymore. Maybe it's because my destinations here don't include meeting my friends and family. Maybe it's because my journeys and destinations here are motivated and initiated by me while in the states they may be dictated by many other factors. Maybe it's because my free time there is much more limited. Maybe...

Just a thought. But it is something I would like to work on when I return as it would make life much more enjoyable. I want to maintain this laid-back feeling as long as possible and avoid the hectic, hurried life I felt when living in the states.

School Library
The school finally cleared out a space for us and gave us book cases to build a proper, whole school, library. Prior to this, Christina and I just had small libraries in our classrooms and the high school books were gathering dust stuffed in unorganized shelves upstairs. We now have a room upstairs with 5 book shelves and a table for magazines.

Christina and I spent all exam week, during prep and after the kids went home, sorting the books into general levels: K-2nd, 3rd-6th, and junior high-high school. Then we sorted each level into categories like sports, science, animals, people, history, fiction, poetry, folk tales, etc. We even got a few students to help out.
Now the books are much more accessible to the students. They can easily find books more appropriate for their grade level and on various topics of interest. Each book is labeled so the student will have a reminder for where the book should be returned.
We also created a poster explaining the library rules: how many books they can take, how to check them out, how to return them, etc. and a poster assigning library helpers (two students per month) to help make sure the library doesn't become a big chaotic mess once we leave. I just hope the teachers next year, take students to the library to check out books, read them books from the library, and encourage them to respect it and visit it on their own. (Thank you, thank you, thank you again to all of you who donated books and money for shipping.)

We finally finished the library on Friday of exam week... the last day of regular school. I am always sad saying goodbye to kids on the last day of the school. I just spent 10 months getting to know everything about these people and now it's over. It's like breaking up with your friends every year. I took one last photo of us all.
Recuperation
After final exams, each teacher calculated the students average grade for each subject over the whole year. Any subject in which their average was below 70%, they had to come for recuperation. The teachers then made up a study guide for each subject and gave it to the appropriate students to practice over the weekend. Monday and Tuesday the students came for extra tutoring in their respective subjects of need from 12:00pm until 3:00pm. Wednesday and Thursday the students take another final exam in those subjects. If they get 70% or above, they pass; If they get below 70%, they have to do another recuperation in August before school starts.

I teach math, science, reading, writing, and spelling/phonics. I have no idea how a student who struggled with one of these all year long is going to pass it after a weekend and two days of studying, especially something like reading which you can't really cram for.

I feel sorry for the students. This is too much pressure on them. The students shouldn't be made to feel like they failed, the teachers and parents should. Even though my group of students coming for recuperation were exceptionally low, I still feel that is just an excuse and I failed them in my inability to raise them up higher. It is really hard to reach every student when there is such a wide range in current levels. I am sure every teacher can relate to this constant struggle of trying to move the majority along while somehow not abandoning the lower kids and not boring the high ones. I even used my own time after school to give them free tutoring but I can only do so much, especially when they don't show up. Recuperation week is frustrating and depressing.

The one benefit of feeling this discontentment is that it keeps me motivated to constantly reflect on my teaching: stepping back to try to get a fuller (objective) picture, pulling in to make sure I focus on each students as an individual, trying new things, reading, going to workshops, talking to other teachers, etc. If there is ever a day when I begin blaming the students or feeling complacent in my teaching, I will know that is the day I need to find a new career.

We also have to turn in final grades. Since the Honduras school system is not yet computer friendly, we have to do everything in long hand. The school has these thick notebooks with hand- and ruler-made tables and huge forms we have to fill out in ink for every student. Yuck!

Next week we have graduations and the week after we go to Utila for our scuba diving course and relaxing on the cays. It still doesn't seem real that this is all nearly over. Have I really been here 10 months already?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Terry says. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARA. I wanted to be the first to wish you a very happy day and to tell you that you are wonderful. Thank you for showing us how you got the library set up. I had a part in that. I am also a past libraian so do appreciate teachers who want to have a good library.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday early, Sara-kins! Wow, just two more weeks for you. Cool library. Those kids will really miss you. Have a great time scuba-diving in Utila. ;-) Shannon

Anonymous said...

Will you post a "return to San Diego" entry?

Unknown said...

It looks like you two did a very good job on the library. Great to see it all set up.
Happy Birthday!!!!!! Have fun on in Utila and keep us posted.

Miss Sara Burgin said...

Thank you for all the birthday wishes and compliments on the library. It was very hard and sweaty work since there are no fans in that room. Also, on two mornings in a row, when I entered to continue the previous days work... someone had knocked over and mixed up all the organized piles and I had to repeat the same work. Three times! AGHH!!!

Ed- I will definitely write a blog about the scuba trip after I return but I can't guarantee anything else after that.

p.s. I am still waiting for those donations so I can travel for life.