Saturday, May 10, 2008

Guest Blog: written by my mom

Impressions of Honduras
Sara wanted me to give my impressions of my visit to Honduras. It only takes a little over 5 hours of flying to get there. But you better know enough Spanish to get anywhere. I relied on Sara for that and also to know how much money to pay the taxi or bus. If the amount was written, like on our food bills, I could count out the lemps.

It is very hot and humid there. All the streets are not paved so it gets dusty everywhere. Lots of places have no hot water - like Sara's house. But by night it was nice to jump in a cold shower and clean up for dinner or a good nights sleep. The country is really beautiful with all sorts of green trees - I saw many different kinds but mostly palm. Then Sara tells me that the country tree is the pine. I don't get it.

I found you can get almost anywhere by bus. The buses stop along the road if you hold out your hand and it is not a direct bus. People come and go, a guy walks up and down the aisle to collect the fare. And on Sat. we got a preacher who talked or shouted for about an hour. What a ride.

There are wonderful things to do there. Lots of water so lots of rivers and waterfalls. Tela is by the ocean so we also have the beach.

Sara was quite the tour guide. She planned a perfect trip. I saw a waterfall and had fun swimming in the pool under the fall. We watched the local kids climb up the fall and slide down on one side. It looked too dangerous for us to try. Then we went to the Jungle River Lodge and spent time in a river and gliding through the trees. Once, on the zip line, leaves hit my face so you have to remember to stay straight. And yes I also ate termites.

Then we flew to an island - Roatan. The island was really paradise. We got a room with balcony looking over the bay. Now I can die because I saw white sandy beaches with crystal clear water. Sara even got me to snorkel for the first time. She described the fish better than I could. What an adventure. I kept swimming and looking at the beautiful fish and coral that I didn't even realize how far I was able to swim out. What fun.

Anyone who thought of visiting Sara and did not really missed a treat. Read Sara's whole blog from beginning to end and you will see what you all have missed. It was a great vacation with the best tour guide you could ask for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope to spend such quality time with my kids one day.

Miss Sara Burgin said...

My mom really is the greatest. She is definitely the best traveler ever... go with the flow and never complaining.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Terry says or should I day sister Terry says...I really do wish I had the time to visit you too. What fun the two of you had. I am impressed that you Gerry were able to add your own blog comments.

Anonymous said...

My mom rocks and is way braver than I. I can't believe she overcame her fears of putting her head under water to snorkel or that she zip-lined through the jungle. It scars me that my mom is apparently preparing to die though since I know she is going to live forever because she's the best mom ever. and I totally agree with he that Roatan is the best place I have ever been.

Unknown said...

Glad to read that others enjoyed my input to the blog.