Thursday, February 14, 2008

Bike Tour of Barrio Venecia

Welcome to Tela!
The bike tour is about to begin. Hop aboard but please keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times. (I am sure you can all fit since everyday I witness mothers with two children all on one bike. Most of the people here are proficient enough to ride with no hands. I once saw a grandma riding her bike while holding a baby in one arm and an open umbrella in the other. I don't think I will ever be that good.)
Tela is divided up into small communities which are either barrios or colonias. I live in Barrio Venecia. I ride my bike around here almost everyday and once you get off the main road it is especially gorgeous. Click on the link to see a 360 degree view of all the lush greenery off a random street: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV_kgOiQ32w If you turn down any side street off the paved main road, you come to a dirt road surrounded by loveliness. Of course there are always horses about. Beyond the trees is more endless, lush plant life. There are many side streets off the road. Most are dead ends but instead of suburban concrete cul-de-sacs, these roads lead to houses in picturesque tropical settings. It's like your own private paradise, though some of the houses are showing their age. Back on the main road, I noticed a new restaurant had just opened. Of course it taunts me promising Mexican cuisine. I have yet to find a burrito in this whole country (unless I make it myself). Down another side street, I found a house built completely on stilts. Many houses here were originally built on stilts but they have since built concrete additions filling in the bottom. This is one of the few that have remained authentic. How safe would you feel swinging in a hammock under your entire house? Many roads abruptly terminate due to streams meandering through. At this dead end I found a concrete bench and table built next to it. What a lovely picnic spot. At another stream, I discovered four swings hanging from the trees along its bank. Very quaint. And of course you can't go anywhere without discovering yet another pulperia (convenience store),observing men hard at work on their antique sewing machines (this tailor was born in Belize but has been living in Honduras for over 50 years now),or spotting many families just chillin' in their casas.We even have hillbilly-style yard ornaments here too. Well, hope ya enjoyed that thar tour. I kinder figgered ya wooda. Y'all come back again real soon, y'hear. I gots ta mosey on now n' teach them thar youngins' sumpin' new. Holler back now ifn ya has gots da time ta.If you do want to come, you should come quickly as Tela is rapidly transforming itself. The beaches and lagoons in and around Tela, beaches that currently only have the tiny villages featured on previous blogs, are being developed into numerous 5 star hotels, resorts, private beach clubs, and even an 18-hole designer golf course. The Tela I live in will be drastically different in as soon as 2 years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, if I carried my kids on a bike I'd be arrested and the kids put in foster care.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Terry says... I loved the big mondern looking house on stilts. Do they do that because of all the rain? Call me when the golf course is open and I will be there.

Unknown said...

Great to see your town. It is so green because of all the rain. What a paradise.